Riverside Park

Port Heritage Trail - Site 2

From here you can see the site of the old timber wharves, Swanson Dock, Webb Dock and the mouth of the Yarra River. From the mid-19th until the late 20th century, ferries sailed between Williamstown and Melbourne, visible from here..

Timber wharves

The former timber wharves of the Melbourne Harbor Trust were on the opposite side of the river, upstream from West Gate Bridge. They were 1100 feet (335 metres) long.

Swanson Dock

Container cranes are visible in the distance at Swanson Dock. Established in the 1960s, it was the first container terminal in the Port of Melbourne.

Webb Dock

Looking south, Webb Dock is opposite. Originally built in 1960 for transporting motorists to Tasmania, cargo can ‘roll on/roll off’ ships here.

It is the largest Australian facility for exporting and importing new motor vehicles and the key mainland terminal for Tasmanian trade.

The main Tasmanian passenger terminal is now at Station Pier.

Yarra River mouth

Downstream is the mouth of the Yarra River and in the distance, the tanks of the Gellibrand Pier Oil Terminal at Williamstown.

Old steam ferry route

Williamstown Ferry on last day of operation.Slightly downstream is the former main steam ferry route which linked the settlements of Melbourne and Williamstown. This avoided the swampy overland trip.

John Spotswood established one of the first ferry services in the early 1850s on his land near the mouth of the Stony Creek. It transported livestock and vehicles.

For 99 years, from 1873 until 1974, a steam ferry service set up by the City of Williamstown operated between the two locations. The opening of the West Gate Bridge in 1978 made it obsolete.

The Williamstown Ferry on its last day of operation
(Source: Kester Brown)

Port Heritage Trail - Site 2

From here you can see the site of the old timber wharves, Swanson Dock, Webb Dock and the mouth of the Yarra River. From the mid-19th until the late 20th century, ferries sailed between Williamstown and Melbourne, visible from here..

Timber wharves

The former timber wharves of the Melbourne Harbor Trust were on the opposite side of the river, upstream from West Gate Bridge. They were 1100 feet (335 metres) long.

Swanson Dock

Container cranes are visible in the distance at Swanson Dock. Established in the 1960s, it was the first container terminal in the Port of Melbourne.

Webb Dock

Looking south, Webb Dock is opposite. Originally built in 1960 for transporting motorists to Tasmania, cargo can ‘roll on/roll off’ ships here.

It is the largest Australian facility for exporting and importing new motor vehicles and the key mainland terminal for Tasmanian trade.

The main Tasmanian passenger terminal is now at Station Pier.

Yarra River mouth

Downstream is the mouth of the Yarra River and in the distance, the tanks of the Gellibrand Pier Oil Terminal at Williamstown.

Old steam ferry route

Williamstown Ferry on last day of operation.Slightly downstream is the former main steam ferry route which linked the settlements of Melbourne and Williamstown. This avoided the swampy overland trip.

John Spotswood established one of the first ferry services in the early 1850s on his land near the mouth of the Stony Creek. It transported livestock and vehicles.

For 99 years, from 1873 until 1974, a steam ferry service set up by the City of Williamstown operated between the two locations. The opening of the West Gate Bridge in 1978 made it obsolete.

The Williamstown Ferry on its last day of operation
(Source: Kester Brown)